im mad about this joke being too niche and past its time but i’m posting it anyway
when yall meet me irl
#and I just don’t feel entitled to someone else’s life’s work.
That comment exactly!! It’s not mine and I can survive without it, so I will.
This is why honey is not vegan.
The problem here is that honey, especially if you buy it ethically from an apiarist, isn’t actually detrimental to the well-being of the bee or the hive. In the wild, honey is used as a food stock, but in a domesticated honeybee colony, the bees are fed quite well, and so the honey is a surplus.
The alternatives, like sugar, relies on monocrops in third world countries, with transient labour. Growing up, there was a sugarcane field by my house, and I’m sure the Haitian men who worked backbreaking hours hacking a machete through knife-bladed leaves in 40 degree heat for a couple dollars a day would have traded a testicle to be a Canadian honeybee. Stevia’s going the same way, iirc.
Additionally, apiarists are actually huge proponents and activists for sustainable bee-keeping, and it’s estimated that the domesticated hive may be the last great hope for declining populations, because we can optimize their chances for survival.
It’s their life’s work, sure, but it’s not the death of them to use it responsibly.
literally read anything about the history of sugarcane and the cuban sugar industry if you think sugar is or ever has been more ethical than honey
- Provide a home for the bees
- Keep that home warm in the winter
- Keep the bees well fed, negating the need for honey, which the bees would make anyways
- Still do not take all the honey, just in case
- Protect the bees from predators
- Monitor the hives for any signs of the parasites, diseases, etc. that cause colony collapse disorder
- Provide a valuable and reliable source of pollination for plants in the area, both wild and crops
- Help keep the local ecosystem healthy
- Is one of the healthiest things you can eat
- Is able to keep for a EXTREMELY long time (Millennia even), making it more valuable than many perishable foods without being full of preservatives
- Can be used to soothe sore throats, nauseau, etc.
- Has been eaten by humans since at least Ancient Egypt (We’ve found STILL EDIBLE honey in tombs)
- Is a great tool in cooking, adding sweetness without raising the sugar content much
- Is a staple food in many people’s diets
Honey is amazing you can put it on or in pretty much everything I goddamn love it and you should too.
if white people be like “white people be like” but i’m white and i be like white people be like “white people be like” then who’s driving the car
BREAKING: Here’s the tweet that could lead to a new grand jury in Ferguson, MO.
#Ferguson: @shaunking took screenshot of tweeter @thesusannichols who claims to know juror on #MikeBrown #DarrenWilson grand jury & appears to be receiving leaked information. King says that within seconds of posting this, her friends told her to delete it & she did but not before it was screenshotted. She has since deleted her entire account but King says they checked & she is indeed a #STL resident w/ years’ worth of tweets from there. “If true, her tweet not only reveals a leak in the grand jury, but gives us an ugly glimpse into how things have gone so far. This person who posted it on twitter & her contact on the grand jury must be fully & completely investigated & removed if it’s true.”-@shaunking
Y’all better reblog the fuck outta this post it on facebook, twitter, IG, myspace, friendster, everything get this information out